Tuesday, August 14, 2007

"New Hope For A Broken Paddle"


It takes a very special person to breathe life into something most would consider rubbish.

While waiting for our canoes to return home from Diamond Head this past Saturday, I spotted an unusually short paddle amongst the other practice paddles which were all proudly propped up against the cement picnic table, and all ready for action.

This stubby looking paddle seemed to beckon, "Come on guys, I'm short, but I can still get the job done, pick me! You'll see!"

I didn't think I had been in the sun too long, although I must admit I hadn't been wearing a cap which can't be good.

Just as I began to turn away, a heaven sent voice out of nowhere land said "Isn't that just incredible?"

I snapped back toward the paddle, and luckily, the voice belonged to paddler Dave who had picked the quirky looking paddle up, and off of the sand as if it were a masterpiece.

Dave said that paddler Jimmy had found the paddle in the rubbish can after last week's practice, it's function rendered useless as part of the blade had broken off. Dave said that it was akin to GOD's love for us, how HE takes the brokenhearted out of the garbage pit of despair and loneliness, to render people new and whole again.

As luck would have it, Jimmy was within earshot, and Dave called him over to join in on our impromptu conversation. A very tall Jimmy said, "The kids and the not so tall love it, they can really get a good grip!"

Thank you Jimmy, you are a very special man.

Thank you GOD, for fixing my earthly broken paddle, day in, and day out.

Uncle Hut

No comments: